Connecting referral links with MailChimp
If you want to include users referral code in the mailing list that you are sending via MailChimp, or if you just want to send a mass email to all registered users telling them about new referral program, follow the steps below:
- First, read this article to generate referral links for old customers.
- Install MailChimp for WordPress - https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/
- Install its addon MailChimp User Sync - https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-sync/
- Once plugins are installed, you need to set them up. Go to MailChimp for WP and enter MailChimp API key. Get your API key here.
- If all is good, you will see Status Connected in green.
- Go to User Sync Screen. Choose the list you want to sync to. IMPORTANT: If you only see the First and Last name. Make sure that your list has defined the field for a referral code. By default when creating a list inside MailChimp, you have only Email, First and Last name. What you want to do is add one more field, by clicking on that List -> Settings -> List Fields. You will see a screen like below. Just add a new text field and hit save.
- If you added a new field in MailChimp just now, you need to fetch the list again by going to MailChimp for WP plugin and clicking on the renew MailChimp List button.
- Now under "User Sync" screen, there is send additional fields. Choose gens_referral_id as user meta and on the right connect it to the newly made MailChimp field.
- If you just installed the plugin and want to sync old users, there is a "Manual Sync" button below, that should sync all existing users.
- Now you can use referral code in your email. Make sure to add it inside a link after ?raf=, for example, if your referral tag is RAFCODE, a link should be: http://www.mysite.com/some-page/?raf=*|RAFCODE|*
- That's all, make sure to test it out before sending.